Antagningstrubbel

27 nov 2009
Fråga:
Hej! Jag heter Julia och har ägnat hösten åt att söka till Fine Arts-programmet vid University of Cape Town. Jag skulle vara tacksam om du hade möjlighet att läsa mitt mejl. Jag har försökt ringa och maila olika enheter vid universitetet utan att få svar. Konstportfolion blivit godkänd och jag har sänt både gymnasiebetyg, folkhögskolebetyg och betyg från tidigare universitetsstudier till UCT. Jag studerar sedan i höst på Chalmers i Göteborg. Det besked jag har fått är att jag inte kommer att bli antagen på grund av att den svenska terminen är längre än den sydafrikanska och att mitt betyg från Chalmers inte kan vara kontoret tillhanda i tid. Enligt antagningsenheten måste jag ta ett studieuppehåll i en termin för att kunna söka, för att ALLA betyg skall skickas till universitetet. Det tycks vara en ren formalitet... Det jag studerar på Chalmers är irrelevant för mina konststudier och min portfolio är granskad och godkänd av konstfilialen (Michaelis School of Fine Art) så det tycks vara på universitetets administrativa avdelning hindren uppkommit. Hade jag vetat detta hade jag aldrig börjat studera i höstas. Jag har svårt att förstå deras bemötande. Jag har varit en tid i Ghana och upplevde ett ständigt kaos runt allt som rörde administration, ofta för att folk förväntade sig mutor för att vara till hjälp. Jag fick känslan av att Sydafrika var annorlunda, det var mycket därför jag valde att söka dit. Har jag missförstått? Jag tänkte att du kanske kunde hjälpa mig med ett insider-perspektiv... hur fungerar det? Jag bifogar min brevväxling med universitetet. Mycket mycket tacksam för svar! Dear Ms ---, I get your point but it leads to serious difficulties. In June 2010 I shall be unable to start any line of study, because it will not be finished by the end of 2010. And then, if I am not admitted to the UCT at 2011, I shall have lost half a year. Or even more, since few Swedish courses start in January. I want to stress that Even If I Do Not Finish my present education for a sailors degree, it will be of great use, as even incomplete results give access to irregular jobs of great interest to me. I am not planning to become a full-time sailor in that case I would not apply for an arts education at the UCT. The art studies are my first priority, so if necessary I can withdraw the present and unfinished education at Chalmers Technical University entirely from my list of merits and I will cancel my education. You would then oblige me gracefully by considering my application from the sole basis of my upper secondary exam, my certificate from the folk high school, and from the courses I have attended at Uppsala University. Some additional documents and references will reach you during this week. Sincerely yours, Julia --- --- Den tis 2009-11-24 skrev Från: Ämne: Re: Grades ""Till: """"Julia"" Datum: tisdag 24 november 2009 11.14 Dear ---, We cannot process your application or make a conditional offer without having your final results. The UCT academic year starts at the beginning of the year and your results would not reach us before then.  You said that your results will only be available from June 2010 so you would therefore have to take a 6 month gap and we will reconsider your application next year for studies commencing at the beginning of 2011.  You would then just need to submit your results next year so that your application can be assessed for 2011. Kind regards --- --- ___________________________________________________________________ Dear Ms ---, I was asked to send my school leaving results, and so I did. Unfortunately, I can not send you the results from my recent education, as I will not complete it before I have to go. I applied to Michaelis School of Fine Art. I am studying in Sweden. The course I am taking right now will be finished after the time that I am supposed to give you the results for it. If I am offered a place at UCT, I will be forced to cancel my studies, as the term systems overlap each other. I will do most of the exams in January but there will be even more time before I get the results. About one third of the exams will be even later. I really want to study art, and that has been my prior for a long time. I am right now studying at the (---)-programme. I knew from the start that I would not have the possibility to finish all the programme here, even if most of it will be finished at the time that I am going. What I am trying to say is that the term systems are not adjusted to each other. If I want to go study in South Africa, it means I will not get the chance to send you my full grades in time. As a student in Sweden I get some benefits, and I can not consider refrain them for the whole term. I will soon get the Marine Safety English Certificate which is included in the course. I will send it as fast as I can. I really hope you will be able to take this under consideration, as I really would appreciate to be offered a place at Michaelis. Thank you very much. Sincerely yours, Julia ---

Svar:

03 dec 2009
Hej Tyvärr kan jag inte hjälpa dig men jag förstår att du är frustrerad. Alla länder/skolor har sitt ansökningsförfarande och det måste man anpassa sig till. Tycket det är konstigt att dina betyg från Chalmers ska avgöra om du kommer in på en konstskola eller ej. Kan du inte pröva med att ringa. Ibland kan det hjälpa med en personlig kontakt även om det blir dyrt. Hälsningar Chris,www,syoguiden.com